[SciPy-User] Ubuntu vs Fedora for scientific work?

Dharhas Pothina Dharhas.Pothina@twdb.state.tx...
Mon Jul 27 15:24:19 CDT 2009

Hi All,

This is slightly off topic but I felt that this lists membership would have good input on this question. I am presently running fedora 8 on my main workstation and it is getting a bit long in the tooth. Back when I set this machine up, RHEL was too much of a pain to use because scientific packages were always extremely outdated and difficult to install. Ubuntu was nice to use at home but installing scientific packages like the Intel Fortran compiler etc was complicated (not impossible, just more work than I wanted). So I went with Fedora which has worked pretty well so far.

Recently, I've noticed that a lot of scientific packages now have ubuntu repositories and even the intel compiler has an ubuntu option. So I'm trying to decide whether to go with Fedora 11 or Ubuntu Jaunty.

I'm not trying to start a flame war but I'm interested in what people's experience has been.

thanks,

- dharhas