[SciPy-user] Broken dmg?

Sat Jun 6 00:22:46 CDT 2009

Chang, Christopher wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    After building Python 2.6.2 with the system gcc on a MacBook Pro (OS X 10.5.7, Intel Core 2 Duo) and numpy with gcc + gfortran from http://r.research.att.com/tools/, I tried to install the binary scipy-0.7.1rc2-py2.6-macosx10.5. When it comes time to select a destination, I get
>
> "You cannot install scipy 0.7.1rc2 on this volume. scipy requires System Python 2.6 to install"
>
> If the installer is just checking Python from the environment, it should be picking up the new version

It can't, or at least I don't know a way to do it - the installer can
only install for the python it was build with.

> At any rate, the same thing happens with the py2.5 scipy package. What exactly is the installer checking for and not finding?

A python installed from python.org (the system python message is
misleading here). Anything else is unlikely to work - and anyway, if you
build your python, I think you should not expect binaries to work on it
(not only numpy/scipy).

cheers,

David