[SciPy-user] [Numpy-discussion] scipy 0.7.1 rc3

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sat Jun 13 15:41:10 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 8:30 AM, David
Cournapeau<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> with 0.7.1 I get the 300 skip known failures
>>

> I don't remember the details, but there was an intersection on quite a
> few problems, that is another distutils wart (which exits the process
> through System.exit() in some weird cases, and there is no way around it
> except not executing the corresponding code), some problems with
> subprocess on windows, and mingw problems. I don't know why it used to
> work on 0.6.0 compared to 0.7.0.
>
>> For some time now, I have the problem that some build scripts with
>> setup.py don't use mingw as compiler even though I have it specified
>> in distutils.cfg, and they don't find a non-existing microsoft
>> compiler.
>> But I have no idea whether this is related to numpy distutils or any
>> other changes that happened to my python 2.5 install.
>>

> I don't know either. Frankly, all this code to detect compilers is such
> a mess in distutils and numpy.distutils, and it depends so much on the
> configuration (whether you have some version of Visual Studio or not,
> and it of course depends on the python version) that I consider the
> problem to be intractable, at least for someone like me who don't spend
> its time on windows. I don't have a better answer :)

I narrowed down the weave/mingw problems to changes that occured
during the release process of 0.7.0 that broke mingw detection for
windows users.

If I run 0.7.0b1 (the last version of 0.7.0 that I had fully tested
and in my python25 install), I get the good result

Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
>>> import scipy.weave
>>> scipy.weave.test('full')
Running unit tests for scipy.weave
NumPy version 1.3.0
NumPy is installed in c:\programs\python25\lib\site-packages\numpy
SciPy version 0.7.0.dev5180
SciPy is installed in c:\programs\python25\lib\site-packages\scipy
Python version 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Int
el)]
nose version 0.11.1

Ran 448 tests in 774.532s
OK (KNOWNFAIL=2, SKIP=7)
<nose.result.TextTestResult run=448 errors=0 failures=0>

With the release version of 0.7.0 and removing the skip known failures
decorators I get the errors because mingw is not used as the compiler.

so the change happened between svn versions '5180' and '5542'

It looks like the problem is not outside of scipy, since I can run
0.7.0b1 in my regular python25 without the problems, with no other
changes in the setup.

(I had the compiler detection problem the first time a while ago with
theano, but I thought it was a problem with theano since they mention
that it is not tested for windows)

BTW: is there a way to give the no-skip argument, i.e. run also known
failures, to nose in the call to test, e.g. scipy.test(...)?

Josef