[SciPy-user] Variable coupled ODE's

Rob Clewley rob.clewley@gmail....
Mon Jun 22 10:32:09 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Ala Al-Shaibani<shaibani@ymail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I am wondering on how to solve this issue.
> Basically I have a simulator that depends on data files, and the simulation
> will be represented through the use of first order coupled ODEs.
> Number of coupled ODEs to be solved will vary depending on the data set. The
> equation itself is the same throughout, but because it's coupled, it might
> need to be solved for 2 variables, 5 variables or more, with each variable
> requiring its own equation.
>
> Is it possible to implement this using scipy's odeint ? Because as I can see
> for coupled ODEs, the equations will have to be pre-set in the derivation
> function.

Hi Ala,

Maybe you can spell out your equations (or their form at least),
explain your data set, and summarize your modeling problem so that we
can see what exactly you have and how to help. For instance, it's not
clear how you mean the number of ODEs will vary on the data set.
PyDSTool lets you include known signals (such as array data loaded
from a file) on the RHS of an ODE, if that's what you mean. I don't
think odeint lets you do that.

-Rob