[SciPy-user] Performance Python examples

David Powell davidanthonypowell@gmail....
Sun Jun 28 22:51:37 CDT 2009

2009/6/29 David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM, David
> Powell<davidanthonypowell@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > PS: I had a try at writing something at numexpr, but what I came up with
> was
> > slower than just using numpy arrays.  So I'd probably stick to use
> > weave.inline.  However I just realised that to get the full benefit of
> using
> > openmp needs gcc 4.x, but I am not sure which version of mingw numpy and
> > scipy are built with and whether this will cause compatibility problems.
>
> You will not be able to use openmp on windows, because scipy/numpy is
> built with g77, and you can't mix g77 (fortran compiler of gcc 3.x)
> and gfortran (fortran compiler of gcc 4.x). You will have to build
> numpy and scipy by yourself in this case.

But if I calling C code with weave.inline, then this shouldn't have anything
to do with the fortran compiler.

As an aside, I notice that the windows 64 bit version of numpy 1.3 is built
with mingw64, which as far as I can see uses gcc 4.4.  Can we expect that
scipy 0.8 will be too?