[SciPy-user] ndimage.convolve behaviour?

Mon Jun 29 04:27:13 CDT 2009

David Warde-Farley wrote:

> So the only difference is which direction the axes are read? Odd. Is
> this a convention in other packages too?

That's more than a convention: that's the definition of the operations.
Although the effect on signals often is similar, the underlying
mathematical operation is quite different. For example convolution is a
commutative operator, whereas correlation isn't. I guess it depends on
the background, but for anyone with a bit of EE background, there is no
ambiguity at all I guess.

cheers,

David