[SciPy-user] installation problems on SUSE 10.2

John Schulman joschu@caltech....
Mon Jun 29 14:18:08 CDT 2009

I'm going to post my solution, because it's a really easy general
solution to these installation problems, and it isn't mentioned on the
scipy webpages.

I downloaded and built sage from source. All it requires is a c/c++ compiler.
http://www.sagemath.org/download-source.html

This took about 3 hours.

This gives me a totally self-contained local python installation with
scipy in it.
It also has ipython, easy_install, and all that other nice stuff in
the bin directory.

When I log on, I go to the sage directory and type in the command
./sage -sh
This sets all the shell variables so the executables in the sage bin
directory becomes default, so I just have to type 'ipython' and I've
got my sage ipython.