[SciPy-user] Skyline matrix support in scipy.sparse

Nils Wagner nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart...
Wed Mar 11 08:42:06 CDT 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:28:44 -0400
  Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Nils Wagner
> <nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to import matrices given in skyline
>>format
>> ?
>>
>> Reference:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_matrix
>
>Formats like CSR and CSC (which scipy.sparse supports)
>are more
> general than skyline, so it's just a matter of
>converting the input to
> one of these formats.
>
> Does your skyline matrix come from a file, or some other
>source?
>
> --
> Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail.com
> http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/

Hi Nathan,

The matrix at hand is a NASTRAN matrix given in the
so-called output4 format. ASCII (FORMATTED) and binary
(UNFORMATTED) format is available depending on the NASTRAN
statement

ASSIGN OUTPUT4='test.op4', UNKNOWN, FORMATTED, UNIT=21

Anyway, the contents of the op4 file looks like skyline
format. I can send you an example matrix off-list.

Cheers,
             Nils