[SciPy-user] python windows set up

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Mon Mar 16 16:04:21 CDT 2009

> Sorry to spam the list with a silly question but I'm trying to convert a
> windows using colleague to python so that interacting with her
> doesn't mean my having to convert her matlab code. She's an excellent
> scientist but has a low tolerance for complicated software installations
> and it seems like I'm currently losing the battle re.

I am using Python on Windows Vista and XP for neuroscience. I don't use a
particular distribution. I just use the Windows binary installers for the
packages I need. This covers most of what I need:

Python 2.5
NumPy
SciPy
matplotlib
wxPython
pywin32
Cython
gfortran and gcc 4.4 (mingw binary from gfortran's wiki)

In c:\Python25\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg I have:

[build]
compiler=mingw32

[build_ext]
compiler=mingw32