[SciPy-user] spare matrices

Eric Friedman ejf27@cornell....
Mon Mar 16 19:06:42 CDT 2009

Hi, I'm new to python (from matlab) and am having some difficulties.

In my program I need to use large sparse linear systems where A is nxm matrix
with n is a few million, m is  around 100,000 and there are about 50 entries per
row, so there are several million nonzero entries.
I'm trying scipy sparse and it is really slow (at least 10-20 seconds to much
longer), while matlab can do multiplications almost instantly.  I've looked at
various online documents and googled a bit, and from what I see people seem to
find these numbers large in scipy. Am I missing something or do I need to go
back to Matlab?

thanks,
Eric