[SciPy-user] Eigenvalues of the Floquet matrix

Nils Wagner nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart...
Wed Mar 18 14:18:09 CDT 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:12:59 -0400
  Rob Clewley <rob.clewley@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Looks like the RHS function isn't working. Could you run
>>>this script
>>> in pdb or a debugger, or at least put in some print
>>>statements here to
>>> show me what t, xdict and pdict are when Rhs is called.
>>>And then,
>>> inside Points, what coorddict and c are? This might be
>>>another Python
>>> 2.6 issue because there is some funky magic used to
>>>create some class
>>> methods dynamically.
>>
>> Rob,
>>
>> Sorry but I am newbie to pydb. How do I run the script
>>in
>> pydb ?
>>
>> Nils
>
> Sorry, I don't use pydb, I use the debugger in Wing IDE.
>You'll have
> to work out how to do that yourself. But you can insert
>some print
> statements in front of the problem line to show what the
>state is.
> And, are you sure you get this error in Python 2.5 too?
>The error you
> showed me is from a run in Python 2.6.
>
> -Rob

Rob,

I run the PyDSTool example "run_all_tests.py" on
python2.5.
Some tests failed, too. These failures seems to be
connected to 64 bit.

There seems to be another problem wrt fminbound.

fminbound(func, x1, x2, args=(),
xtol=1.0000000000000001e-05, maxfun=500, full_output=0,
disp=1)
     Bounded minimization for scalar functions.

     :Parameters:

       func : callable f(x,*args)
           Objective function to be minimized (must accept
and return scalars).
       x1, x2 : float or array scalar
           The optimization bounds.
       args : tuple
           Extra arguments passed to function.
       xtol : float
           The convergence tolerance.
       maxfun : int
           Maximum number of function evaluations allowed.
       full_output : bool
           If True, return optional outputs.
       disp : int
           If non-zero, print messages.
               0 : no message printing.
               1 : non-convergence notification messages
only.
               2 : print a message on convergence too.
               3 : print iteration results.

     :Returns: (xopt, {fval, ierr, numfunc})

AFAIK the latest change wrt fminbound is

r5205 | stefan | 2008-11-29 13:41:23 +0100 (Sa, 29. Nov
2008) | 2 lines

In `fminbound`, raise an error if non-scalar bounds are
specified [patch by
Neil Muller].  Closes #544.

Nils