[SciPy-user] OS-X Universal binary?

Sebastian Haase haase@msg.ucsf....
Thu Mar 26 00:17:17 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Christopher Barker
> <Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
>> David Cournapeau wrote:
>>> I created a new ticket:
>>>
>>> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1067
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> This brings up a n issue from way back -- with the trickiness of Fortran
>> support, it would be nice if one could use the parts of Scipy that don't
>> need it.
>
> That sounds like a good idea, until packages using scipy will break on
> your fortran-disabled scipy. We should avoid variations of the scipy
> capabilities as much as possible.

This of course reminds of a fundamental discussion from long ago -- as
I remember there were plans to split scipy into sub-packages that
would possibly be able to live by themselves and make the whole thing
easier to install.
"there was a time when numpy was called scipy-core ..."

Anyway, even if this plan is not to be followed through, I would like to know:
* What are "easily separable packages" ? I would think ndimages might
be an examples, or ?
* How much really depends on fortran ?  This is also interesting to
get a "quick" win-64 built.
  [ Chris, which imports did you comment out and where ? ]
* Would numscons make such a separation potentially more feasible than
it used to be ?

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase