[SciPy-user] Automatic Differentiation with PYADOLC and Removing Boost::Python dependency

Neal Becker ndbecker2@gmail....
Thu Mar 26 08:49:46 CDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:

> Sebastian Walter wrote:
>> Removing Boost::Python dependency ?
>> ===============================
>>
>> I have used Boost::Python to wrap it, but I am not happy with that
>> additional dependency!
>> So I wondered if someone could give me advice how to avoid users
>> having to download and install boost::python to use pyadolc.
>> (include boost::python sources ? port to C API?)
>>

> If you care about portability, and if that's an option, I would advise
> to just drop boost. Boost is not portable nor stable, every new version
> is almost always incompatible with each other. In my own experience,
> everytime I had to build something from source with boost, it was a
> problem,
>
> cheers,
>
> David

IMO, that's harsh.  I use boost::python heavily.  I don't have any such
problem.  I doubt that instability is an issue - I don't think this code has
changed at all in quite some time.