[SciPy-user] OS-X Universal binary?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Thu Mar 26 15:46:13 CDT 2009

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Chris Barker
> <Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
>> OK -- it turns out that the Universal binary has more than just the
>> Universal issue. The extensions depend on libgfortran, too
>
> Hm, right - that by itself is expected. I guess we never thought about
> it because every developer has gfortran. But surely, it cannot work as
> we do currently.
>
> That's actually a non trivial problem, unless libgfortran can easily
> be statically linked. Hm...

In the past, (I think) I've forced static linkage by hiding
libgfortran.dylib and *just* having libgfortran.a where the linker can
find it. (On OS X there's no other reliable way to force static
linkage of anything, so much does the linker prefer dylibs!) This
worked for me when I needed to distribute bits of scipy that I'd
parted out for other purposes, and built as 2-way (32bit i386/PPC) fat
binaries. But that was  with a previous version of gfortran from the R
tools site.

Zach