[SciPy-user] How to fit a surface from a list of measured 3D points ?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Tue Mar 31 11:29:23 CDT 2009

Hi Loïc,

What's your eventual goal for the fit surface? There are a lot of
possible approaches possible with the tools in scipy (e.g. fit a
spline, as you have done, or fit a simpler parameteric surface in a
least-squares fashion, or go for a nonparametric approach and
interpolate between the points with radial basis functions).  The best
approach will likely depend on what you want to do with the surface...
but what you have seems like a reasonable start.

Also, ndimage.map_coordinates is for resampling of an array (e.g.
image) at arbitrary coordinates: perhaps not of direct use here.

Zach