[SciPy-user] Docs for Krogh Interpolator

Wed May 13 06:41:07 CDT 2009

2009/5/13 Joshua Stults <joshua.stults@gmail.com>:
> By docstrings do you mean the text from:
>
> import scipy.interpolate
> print scipy.interpolate.KroghInterpolator.__doc__
>
> That gives me the same two paragraphs that are in the html
> documentation page.  I'm using Python version 2.5.2 and scipy as
> packaged for Fedora 10.

Actually the information is in
scipy.interpolate.KroghInterpolator.__init__.__doc__, that is, the
documentation on how to construct an object of class KroghInterpolator
is in the constructor docstring, rather than the class docstring. This
is generally confusing and frustrating, but putting it all in the
class docstring is not really a solution, since the docstring really
does describe the constructor.

Even more unfortunately, this docstring does not appear to be present
in the online doc editor. But you can see it by doing
help(scipy.interpolate.KroghInterpolator), which will show the class
docstring, list the methods, and show all their docstrings.

For convenience, here is the content of the constructor docstring:
"""Construct an interpolator passing through the specified points

        The polynomial passes through all the pairs (xi,yi). One may
additionally
        specify a number of derivatives at each point xi; this is done by
        repeating the value xi and specifying the derivatives as successive
        yi values.

        Parameters
        ----------
        xi : array-like, length N
            known x-coordinates
        yi : array-like, N by R
            known y-coordinates, interpreted as vectors of length R,
            or scalars if R=1

        Example
        -------
        To produce a polynomial that is zero at 0 and 1 and has
        derivative 2 at 0, call

        >>> KroghInterpolator([0,0,1],[0,2,0])

"""
Could be better, I admit, but it is there.

Anne