[SciPy-user] going through a lot of plots

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Wed May 13 17:56:34 CDT 2009

I wonder if anyone has a good pattern they'd like to share for how to
page through a lot of plots (mayavi.mlab or matplotlib or Chaco or
whatever).

I find myself in this situation a lot: I'm looking at a sequence of
plots, one for each piece of data in a collection. I usually find
myself writing a loop with a plot command followed by raw_input()so
that I hit enter in the terminal window IPython session to move to the
next item.  I usually make this conditional so that I can process in
batch without looking at the plots if I choose.

This has the effect of producing a newline in the terminal every time
I want to move on to the next plot, which is far from ideal,
especially in the situation where I'm not printing anything else in
that window.

I figure there probably is a general way of solving this problem
satisfactorily that I just haven't thought of, but any toolkit-
specific ideas would be appreciated too. I'd rather avoid mucking with
event-handlers since it would force control flow to depend on the
plotting toolkit, removing the ability to just "turn off" plot-n-wait.

Any thoughts?

David