[SciPy-user] Easy way to make a block diagonal matrix?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed May 20 19:23:08 CDT 2009

2009/5/20 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>:
> 2009/5/21  <josef.pktd@gmail.com>:
>> scipy.linalg has some matrix creation functions, some look like
>
> Thanks, that looks like a good spot.
>
> Please review the attached patch (if anybody does not want it to go
> in, now is a good time to voice your concerns).

It might be better to preserve the dtype of the input arrays, e.g. I
could think of a use for integer variables, e.g. dummy variables in
regression or anova, or to allow an option for the dtype when you
create the zeros array.

I don't know if anybody would want complex or character matrices.

I just checked, np.kron and np.diag preserves integer type, and
np.kron converts to float for mixed types, diag preserves character
type.

otherwise it looks good and useful to me.

Josef