[SciPy-user] scipy.interpolate spline class names

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud@gmail....
Wed May 20 20:54:09 CDT 2009

I use the splines in scipy.interpolate quite a bit, and I particularly
like  the *UnivariateSpline and *BivariateSpline  wrapper classes.
However, I cannot for the life of me work out what gives with the
names and documentation... As far as I can tell, the univariate
splines are as follows:

UnivariateSpline : A spline where the number of knots is chosen using
the "smoothing factor" s
LSQUnivariateSpline: A spline where the knots are explicitly specified
InterpolatedUnivariateSpline: A spline with s=0 or t=[] (e.g. passes
through all the fitting points)

The documentation just says the second two "just have less error
checking"... aren't they for very different purposes?  And while I
recognize that name changes at this stage might be uncalled for, the
names are somewhat misleading, too... shouldn't they be
"SmoothUnivariateSpline","KnotUnivariateSpline", and
"InterpolatedUnivariateSpline" or something like that?

It also seems there are similar versions for the *BivariateSpline
classes, although it's unclear to me exactly what the raw
BivariateSpline class does as compared to the SmoothBivariateSpline
(and the RectBivariateSpline, at least, makes sense)