[SciPy-user] Inconsistent function calls?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu May 21 11:44:24 CDT 2009

2009/5/21 Travis Vaught <travis@enthought.com>:
> On May 21, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Ivo Maljevic wrote:

>> Robert, by following this list I know that I shouldn't even try to
>> respond to your message as
>> you always turn out to be right, but I'll try anyway. ...
>
> Robert,
>
> Could you write some code to verify this?
>
> Here's a snippet off the top of my head:
>
> def check_robert():
>     if 1:
>         print "Robert is right."
>     else:
>         print "Robert is wrong."

Robert's answer negatively biased, even though he used the Mersenne
twister.  I preferred this very trustworthy source on the internet:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=robert+is+always+right&word2=robert+is+wrong+sometimes

which yielded the following definitive answer:

Robert is always right: 74600000
Robert is wrong sometimes: 1760000

Clearly, Robert is always right at least 97% of the time and only *2%
of sometimes* wrong (that's a very small number).

Now that's good science.

Cheers
Stéfan