[SciPy-user] scipy.interpolate spline class names

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud@gmail....
Fri May 22 16:57:27 CDT 2009

So who has the power to update these docs, anyway? It doesn't seem
that complicated to make the necessary clarifications...

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 7:38 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use the splines in scipy.interpolate quite a bit, and I particularly
>> like  the *UnivariateSpline and *BivariateSpline  wrapper classes.
>> However, I cannot for the life of me work out what gives with the
>> names and documentation... As far as I can tell, the univariate
>> splines are as follows:
>>
>> UnivariateSpline : A spline where the number of knots is chosen using
>> the "smoothing factor" s
>> LSQUnivariateSpline: A spline where the knots are explicitly specified
>
> At least the docs need a lot of improvement, I tried out the splines
> for the first time a short time ago, and I only realized this for
> LSQUnivariateSpline after receiving exceptions when I wanted to update
> the knots as described in the docs. Also, the dispatch behaviour of
> UnivariateSpline is not described.
> The docs for the original wrappers, splrep, splev, sproot, spalde,
> splint, is more informative.
>
> I was looking at these spline classes as a replacement for the spline
> implementation in stats.models, but for a newbie to splines the
> documentation is not very helpful.
>
> But the splines produce nice pictures.
>
> Josef
>

>> InterpolatedUnivariateSpline: A spline with s=0 or t=[] (e.g. passes
>> through all the fitting points)
>>
>> The documentation just says the second two "just have less error
>> checking"... aren't they for very different purposes?  And while I
>> recognize that name changes at this stage might be uncalled for, the
>> names are somewhat misleading, too... shouldn't they be
>> "SmoothUnivariateSpline","KnotUnivariateSpline", and
>> "InterpolatedUnivariateSpline" or something like that?
>>
>> It also seems there are similar versions for the *BivariateSpline
>> classes, although it's unclear to me exactly what the raw
>> BivariateSpline class does as compared to the SmoothBivariateSpline
>> (and the RectBivariateSpline, at least, makes sense)

Erik Tollerud
Graduate Student
Center For Cosmology
Department of Physics and Astronomy