[SciPy-user] scipy.interpolate spline class names

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri May 22 20:03:42 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> Fri, 22 May 2009 19:22:14 -0400, josef.pktd wrote:
> [clip]
>> There is also still the open question how we get the information of the
>> docstrings in class.__init__ into the sphinx docs.
>
> The Numpy docstring standard dictated that the __init__ method should be
> documented in the main class docstring.
>
> I don't personally like this very much. Maybe we need to revise this?
>
> Anyway, the Sphinx dev version contains an improved version of
> autosummary that has features that could be used to address this.
>
>   ***
>
> So I'd suggest currently just making a separate hand-written page for the
> interpolation class docs, making appropriate use of the autoclass:: and
> automethod:: directives.
>
> The main documentation page interpolate.rst could then contain the
> corresponding autosummary directives without the :toctree: argument.
>
> --
> Pauli Virtanen

Pauli,
do you have an example how to do this? when I tried autoclass and
automethod in the doc editor then it didn't produce the intended
results.

For example for the KroghInterpolator:
Given last years discussion a lot of information was put into the __init__

What I would find very helpful would be if the link for
KroghInterpolator in
http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/interpolate.rst/  leads to
the full autodocs of the class, with all or selected automethods. I
would  prefer one page per class for the class based modules such as
the interpolator classes.

I find the docs very well structured and accessible for functions but
in many cases it doesn't provide a good structure for classes.

If you have an example for how this can be done, then I could fix
parts of the docs. The numpy docstring doesn't really define the
structure for the sphinx documentation, or does it.

I still appreciate the htmhelp files for windows a lot. It's very
useful to have instantaneous search and access to the docs. That's why
it's bugging me when the information is not in the docs, even though
it can be accessed with >>> help(classname). But currently the docs
don't produce the same result.

Josef