[SciPy-user] Install failure on AIX 5.3 due to missing linker flagprefix for compiler

Whitcomb, Mr. Tim tim.whitcomb@nrlmry.navy....
Tue May 26 11:51:10 CDT 2009

> Now I am getting the following error when I try to install SciPy:
>
>         g++ g++ -pthread
>
> -bI:/opt/sw/python/Python-2.6.2/lib/python2.6/config/python.exp
>         build/temp.aix-5.3-2.6/scipy/interpolate/src/_interpolate.o
>         -Lbuild/temp.aix-5.3-2.6 -o
>         build/lib.aix-5.3-2.6/scipy/interpolate/_interpolate.so
>         g++: '-b' must come at the start of the command line
>         g++: '-b' must come at the start of the command line
>         error: Command "g++ g++ -pthread

I ran into this issue with Scipy as well - the command *should* look
something like
/path/to/ld_so_aix [c++ compiler]....
but gets changed to
[c++ compiler] [c++ compiler]
which I believe is an error.

The fix that I used was to edit unixccompiler.py in the distutils
package, and move the
linker[i] = self.compiler_cxx[i]
statement under the
if os.path.basename(linker[0]) == "env"
statement - this got rid of that issue.

It also looks like it's including files using -bI:, which is more XL
C++-ish than g++.  I am very new to working on AIX machines, so I can't
say if this is an error as well.  Hopefully someone with more AIX
experience than me can comment on these issues.

On a side note, does numpy.test() crash with a MemoryError on your
installation?

Tim