[SciPy-User] Comparing variable time-shifted two measurements

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Fri Nov 6 17:36:23 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Anne Archibald
<peridot.faceted@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/11/5 Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have two aircraft based aerosol measurements. The first one is
> dccnConSTP
> > (blue), and the latter is CPCConc (red) as shown in this screen capture.
> > (http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7498/ccncpclag.png). My goal is to
> > compare these two measurements. It is expected to see that they must have
> > positive correlation throughout the flight. However, the instrument that
> > gives CPCConc was experiencing a sampling issue and therefore making a
> > varying time-shifted measurements with respect to the first instrument.
> > (From the first box it is about 20 seconds, 24 from the seconds before
> the
> > dccnConSTP measurements shows up.) In other words in different altitude
> > levels, I have varying time differences in between these two measurements
> in
> > terms of their shapes. So, my goal turns to addressing this variable
> > shifting issue before I start doing the comparisons.
> >
> > Is there a known automated approach to correct this mentioned varying-lag
> > issue? If so, how?
>
> There are several tools you can use, depending on exactly what the problem
> is.
>
> If the problem is that there's a constant lag for each data set but
> you don't know what it is, then you can use the correlation to fit for
> the lag - if you take the correlation of two vectors, then the highest
> peak in the correlation vector is the lag where the two vectors are
> most similar.

That's how I discovered the varying lag. I was expecting a nicer correlation
when I shifted the data at a constant value however, it turned wrong and
later analysis showed that the lags are not constant.

> Correlations can be calculated rapidly using FFTs.

I am curious to know how to use FFT in this case?

> If the lag isn't constant over a data set, you can try using
> correlations to find the lag at several points in the data set and
> interpolate to get the lag as a function of time (but be careful -
> depending on what caused the lag, a steadily-drifting model isn't
> necessarily appropriate; maybe you'll have periods of constant offset
> separated by jumps).

Ok, good idea. Probably the more finer I correlate the data the higher
accuracy I will get from the correlations therefore a better interpolated
result. "steadily-drifting model" is another new term to me.

> If you know the lag, but it isn't constant and you're not sure how to
> resample your data set to remove the lag, look at scipy's ndimage.
> This should have the tools to do what you want.

This is a 1D data. Could you give me an example how to utilize the ndimage
library for my case?

> If your data sets are unevenly sampled, so that you can't use simple
> correlations, I'm not sure quite what to suggest, except perhaps
> interpolating them to evenly-spaced samples and then running the
> correlation. For this try scipy.interpolate.

I don't think uneven sampling is an issue in my case. Both instruments
sample at 1Hz. One samples from 0.5 L/min flow, the other from 1.0 L/min
where it cannot maintain this rate when the pressure gets lower.

> If you do end up fitting for the lag, keep in mind that you'll have
> adjusted the lags to make the time series as similar as possible, so
> that there's a risk of overestimating their similarities. But the only
> way around that problem is to know the lags from some independent
> source.

Thank you for your suggestions. For now I am sure that these varying lags
are only determined via a manual inspection. If I had the sample flow rate
recorded than it would be easy to correct the data, unfortunately this will
be something for the future experiments.

> Anne
>
> > Thank you.
> >
> > --
> > Gökhan