[SciPy-User] poisson distribution in scipy.stats

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Mon Nov 9 15:24:35 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Davide Cittaro
<davide.cittaro@ifom-ieo-campus.it> wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:03 PM, scipy-user-request@scipy.org wrote:
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:00:29 -0600
> From: Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SciPy-User] poisson distribution in scipy.stats
> To: SciPy Users List <scipy-user@scipy.org>
>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 14:58, Davide Cittaro
> <davide.cittaro@ifom-ieo-campus.it> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> about the poisson generator... given l (expected) and k (found) I guess that
>
> the way to get the probability of k I have to do this:
>
> d = scipy.stats.poisson(l)
>
> p = pmf(k)
>
> Correct.
>
> which I found being the same of
>
> p = scipy.stats.poisson.pmf(l, k)
>
> Also correct.
>

> Although I've just plotted values and they are sligthly different... the
> second version does have only a max value at l, whereas the first has two
> maxima (l and l-1)
>
> I've here some code in which it is written:
>
> d = scipy.stats.poisson(l, k)

k is interpreted as location
 same as stats.poisson(l, loc=k)

loc shifts the distribution, and returns a frozen distribution with
shifted support

Josef