[SciPy-User] Edge Detection

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Tue Nov 10 10:48:51 CST 2009

"image processing edge detection" -- that should be a pretty good
start. Also, google any unfamiliar terms below... I really find that
there's a ton of good basic image-processing information available
online.

Code: Look at what's available in scipy.ndimage. There are functions
for getting gradient magnitudes, as well as standard filters like
Sobel etc. (which you'll learn about from the above), plus
morphological operators for modifying binarized image regions (e.g.
like erosion etc.; useful for getting rid of stray noise-induced
edges), plus some basic functions for image smoothing like median
filters, etc.

For exploratory analysis, you might want some ability to interactively
visualize images; you could use matplotlib or the imaging scikit,
which is still pre-release but making fast progress: http://github.com/stefanv/scikits.image

I've attached basic code for Canny edge detection, which should
demonstrate a bit about how ndimage works, plus it's useful in its own
right. There is also some code floating around for anisotropic
diffusion and bilateral filtering, which are two noise-reduction
methods that can be better than simple median filtering.

Zach