[SciPy-User] loading mat file in scipy

Robin robince@gmail....
Thu Nov 12 04:44:44 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> The current code from the git branch that I posted is now running at
> around 1.5 s to load your file, on a fast machine. Matlab 7.4 is
> taking around 5s on the same machine.

Thanks very much, that's a terrific improvement!

I have been meaning to test your branch this week, but I wasn't sure
if there was a way I could build it without reinstalling my current
scipy version so I was waiting for some time to read about how
building in place and stuff work - in the end I just moved the current
installation sideways and installed your branch as normal.

I see a tremendous improvement as well - for me the demo file loads in
2.5s with improved loadmat vs 1.6s for Matlab 7.8. This is on a couple
of years old macbook pro. Because I'm building against python 2.5 I'm
forced to use apple gcc 4.0 and I think this could account for some of
the difference (I read gcc got a lot better in more recent versions).

Thanks again,

Robin