[SciPy-User] [Numpy-discussion] Fitting a curve on a log-normal distributed data

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Nov 17 13:40:33 CST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 13:36, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

>> So, I would say that it's a bit trickier than fitting the log-normal
>> PDF to the data for a couple of reasons.
>>
>> 1) Directly fitting PDFs to histogram values is usually not a great
>> idea to begin with.
>> 2) We don't know how much probability mass is in the censored region.
>
> So we agree that it is easy to implement a log-normal fit than a discrete
> one?

No, none of the things we have suggested will work well for you. You
have a more complicated task ahead of you. I have ideas that might
work, but explaining them will take more time than I have.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco