[SciPy-User] Reset IPython to original blank state.

Dharhas Pothina Dharhas.Pothina@twdb.state.tx...
Thu Nov 19 10:53:33 CST 2009

Hi All,

I'm trying to do something like matlab's 'clear all; close all; fclose all;' this command basically resets matlab to a blank state by clearing all variables and closing all figures and files. It is hugely useful for avoiding old variables and data interfering with current work when interactively plotting and exploring data.

With Ipython on Linux this is not too big of a deal since I can easily just quit and restart Ipython. On windows Ipython seems to take an inordinate amount of time to start so this is really an issue and causes the workflow to be interrupted.

I've tried using %reset and while that seems to clear any variables in memory it doesn't seem to reset everything. I'm having lots of issues with matplotlib figures and other crashes related to 'too many open file handles' if I do not close and restart Ipython.

Any way around this. Is there a small script I could use to clear everything and take Ipython back to its original startup state without restarting it?

- dharhas