[SciPy-User] Numerical methods textbook recs?

Dav Clark dav@alum.mit....
Thu Nov 19 14:23:41 CST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Alan G Isaac wrote:

> On 11/19/2009 11:01 AM, Mark McClure wrote:
>> I'll be teaching an undergraduate level course in elementary
>> numerical
>> methods next semester.  I would seriously consider using Python/SciPy
>> as the computing environment for the course but I have not been able
>> to find a textbook that is Python based.
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Numerical-Methods-Engineering-Python-Kiusalaas/dp/0521852870/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258649498&sr=8-1

I'm partial to the Strang book:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Applied-Mathematics-Gilbert-Strang/dp/0961408804

It's more a senior level text, not sure what level you need.
Conceptually, it is one of the clearest texts I've come across - but
you need to figure out the coding on your own.

I've floated the idea of writing a "python complements" to this or any
similar book that a group might get behind. If you're doing a course,
that could be a nice way to organize such an enterprise. Let me (and
the list) know if you do write / want help writing anything like that.

Cheers,
Dav