[SciPy-User] Mean arrivals per time unit -> Time between consecutive arrivals

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Nov 25 01:42:31 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Ram Rachum <cool-rr@cool-rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just started using scipy/numpy for some queue theory. I have a queue for
> which the arrival rate is a Poisson distribution. I also have the mean number of
> arrivals per time unit.
>
> I looked around SciPy and I saw I can use scipy.stats.poisson. I was happy that
> it could make a random variable for number of arrivals per time unit. But I want
> the time between consecutive arrivals, as a random variable.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get that?

I don't remember the relationship for the different random variables
related to arrival
processes (without looking it up again), but there is a related example in

https://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/matplotlib/trunk/py4science/examples/stats_distributions.py

Josef