[SciPy-User] scipy.linalg import issues on Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Michael Temkin mjtemkin@gmail....
Wed Nov 25 17:13:00 CST 2009

I've been having numerous issues getting scipy to work on Mac OX 10.6.
I finally got it to build using the instructions from
http://blog.hyperjeff.net/?p=160. For some reason the scipy superpack
won't work on my machine (and neither would the macports release) so
building from source was the best option.

Even though the build was finally successful, I am still unable to use
the library. The error message I am getting now is:

    from scipy.linalg import norm, inv
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/scipy/linalg/__init__.py",
line 8, in <module>
    from basic import *
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/scipy/linalg/basic.py", line
17, in <module>
    from lapack import get_lapack_funcs
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/scipy/linalg/lapack.py",
line 17, in <module>
    from scipy.linalg import flapack
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/scipy/linalg/flapack.so,
2): Symbol not found: _f2pywrapdlamch_
  Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/scipy/linalg/flapack.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

Everything is where it should be, and as far as I know I am not doing
anything non-standard. I'm using python 2.6.4, all the libraries were
built with no obvious issues.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this issue?

thanks.