[SciPy-User] BivariateSpline examples and my crashing python

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Nov 27 12:26:49 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wanted to prepare some examples for the use of the Bivariate Spline classes,
>> The second part of the attached script contains a translation of a
>> scipy.tutorial example to using the 3 classes instead.
>>
>> However, this script keeps crashing on me. Initially I thought it is
>> RectBivariateSpline, but now I think it might be matplotlib, TK
>> backend and maybe my latest numpy build.
>> I would like to know if the splines crash or if it is my current setup
>> that causes the crash. It crashes in spyder, idle and when I close the
>> windows when I run it on the commandline. The last might indicate that
>> the problem is matplotlib related.
>>
>> Can someone run the script, preferably not in an interpreter where you
>> want to keep your session alive?
>>

> Runs fine for me and creates plots from within the interpreter and on
> the command line in Linux.  I noticed that you recently ran into the
> segfault problem that occured somewhere in trunk towards the end
> summer (I forget when and why).  Did you delete everything and rebuild
> matplotlib as well?  I had to rebuild everything that had numpy/scipy
> as a dependency after that update.  Don't know if that's what's going
> on though.

On Windows I cannot rebuild matplotlib, I tried once but it has too
many dependencies (and a at least a while ago couldn't be fully
build with MingW.)

That's why I'm worried about all the ABI breakage that was going on
and I only recently started to work with the numpy trunk version.

At least RectBivariateSpline works. I got a bit suspicious because
it is missing in my (older) docs, and not in
http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/interpolate.rst/

Josef