[SciPy-User] memoryError when i have plenty of available ram

Gustaf Nilsson super.inframan@gmail....
Thu Oct 1 06:08:42 CDT 2009

yeah im aware of the 2 gb limit, and i expect to upgrade to 64bit (w7) next
month...
still, my program doesnt even get close to that before the memoryError.
Will see if i can make a small script that does the same thing when i get
home fron work tonight.

Hey you are in kyoto? ive spent a few months in the north of kyoto
(matsugasaki/kuramaguchi)
Will be going back for a wedding in april (sakura!)

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 4:01 AM, David Cournapeau <
david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> David Goldsmith wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com
> > <mailto:cournape@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Gustaf Nilsson
> >     <gustaf@laserpanda.com <mailto:gustaf@laserpanda.com>> wrote:
> >     > Hiya
> >     >
> >     > I know someone just started a memory thread, but i didnt wanna
> >     hijack it..
> >     > My image processing app that im working on seems to crash with
> >     "memoryError"
> >     > when it hits about 1.1gb of mem usage (same on two computers;
> >     has 2/4gb ram,
> >     > xp 32bit)
> >
> >     If possible, a small script which reproduces the problem would be
> >     helpful.
> >
> >     Keep in mind that on windows, by default, your python script cannot
> >     use more than 2 Gb anyway, even if you have 4Gb of memory.
> >

> > Interesting.  Is this true in Vista?  Windows 7?
>
> It is true for (at least) most OSes, actually, and a limitation of 32
> bits addressing. The only workaround is to use several processes. The
> origin is that a process cannot 'see' more than 4 Gb in 32 bits, and
> part of it has to be reserved for the kernel - windows and linux by
> default limit the virtual adressing to 2 Gb per process in the userland.
> There are options to split between 3 Gb user /1Gb kernel or the contrary
> in linux, and similar in windows.
>
> There is this pretty good explanation here for linux for the gory
> details: http://kerneltrap.org/node/2450 (I would be surprised if
> windows kernel was fundamentally different - except for the fork thing
> of course).
>
> The true solution is to use a 64 bits OS.
>
> cheers,
>
> David