[SciPy-User] How to create multi-page tiff files with python tools?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Fri Oct 2 18:18:14 CDT 2009

2009/9/30 Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>:
>> I think the problem is that Frederick Lundh is the only one who has
>> permission to add/change code base.
>> I still find it very suspicious that somewhere on the PIL website it
>> states that you can pay (a lot of money) for a "special license" to
>> get early  access to the development version - so even you are
>> providing (free) patches via the mailing list, you would have to pay
>> to get access to the patched version !?
>> A couple months ago I asked for an explanation but didn't get a reply.
>>
> Yeah that is very odd. An attempt to put the I/O part of PIL in a scikit may
> be enough of a push to improve that situation. The only other important
> Python library I can think of that was this inert is setuptools, and look
> what happened there.

I wonder if we shouldn't take the plunge and add OpenImageIO as a dependency?

Here's the list of features (from their website):

- Extremely simple but powerful ImageInput and ImageOutput APIs for
reading and writing 2D images that is format agnostic -- that is, a
"client app" doesn't need to know the details about any particular
image file formats. Specific formats are implemented by DLL/DSO
plugins.

- Format plugins for TIFF, JPEG/JFIF, OpenEXR, PNG, HDR/RGBE, Targa,
JPEG-2000, BMP, and ICO formats. More coming! The plugins are really
good at understanding all the strange corners of the image formats,
and are very careful about preserving image metadata (including Exif,
GPS, and IPTC data).

- An ImageCache class that transparently manages a cache so that it
can access truly vast amounts of image data (thousands of image files
totaling hundreds of GB) very efficiently using only a tiny amount
(tens of megabytes at most) of runtime memory. Additionally, a
TextureSystem class provides filtered MIP-map texture lookups, atop
the nice caching behavior of ImageCache.

- Supported on Linux, OS X, and Windows.  All available under the BSD
license, so you may modify it and use it in both open source or
proprietary apps.

I really don't have much hope for PIL.  The development process is
closed and slow.  Once you ignore your community, you are pretty much
done for.  The only reason PIL still exists is because it is useful,
but let's face it: we can easily rewrite 80% of its capabilities at a
multi-day sprint.  Perhaps we should.

Regards
Stéfan