[SciPy-User] Simulations

Cesar Koers ckoers@telenet...
Tue Oct 6 14:23:02 CDT 2009

Hi Ram,

A specific type of time domain solver for electromagnetics is e.g. TDFD
= time domain finite difference. It is based on discretizing Maxwell
equations in time & space

But the Maxwell equations can also be expressed in the frequency domain
(thus for every frequency instead of every time instant). This leads to
FDFD = frequency domain finite difference.

Other kinds of models, like based on finite elements (FE) can also be
developed in the frequency domain.

Perhaps you're now thinking that your 'step function' would still work
in the frequency domain (response at frequency f_{i+} as a function of
response at frequency f_i), but this doesn't work (to my knowledge)
because it requires that the system is modeled by differential equations
in the frequency domain (haven't encountered this before)

Ah and some other 'bureaucracy' features:
* tracking time spent / calculating time remaining till end
* refining/coarsening time step to improve accuracy/reduce simulation
time respectively

best regards

Gaetan Cesar Koers
Kerkveldweg 82