[SciPy-User] ANN: FiPy 2.1

Jonathan Guyer guyer@nist....
Thu Apr 1 14:56:22 CDT 2010

We are please to announce the release of FiPy 2.1.

    http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy

The relatively small change in version number belies significant
advances
in FiPy capabilities. This release did not receive a "full" version
increment because it is completely (er... almost...) compatible with
older
scripts.

The significant changes since version 2.0.2 are:

- FiPy can use Trilinos for solving in parallel.

- We have switched from MayaVi 1 to Mayavi 2. This Viewer is an
   independent process that allows interaction with the display while a
   simulation is running.

- Documentation has been switched to Sphinx, allowing the entire
   manual to be available on the web and for our documentation to link
   the documentation for packages such as numpy, scipy, matplotlib,
and for
   Python itself.

FiPy is an object oriented, partial differential equation (PDE) solver,
written in Python, based on a standard finite volume (FV) approach. The
framework has been developed in the Metallurgy Division and Center for
Theoretical and Computational Materials Science (CTCMS), in the
Materials
Science and Engineering Laboratory (MSEL) at the National Institute of
Standards and Technology (NIST).

The solution of coupled sets of PDEs is ubiquitous to the numerical
simulation of science problems. Numerous PDE solvers exist, using a
variety
of languages and numerical approaches. Many are proprietary, expensive
and
difficult to customize. As a result, scientists spend considerable
resources repeatedly developing limited tools for specific problems. Our
approach, combining the FV method and Python, provides a tool that is
extensible, powerful and freely available. A significant advantage to
Python is the existing suite of tools for array calculations, sparse
matrices and data rendering.

The FiPy framework includes terms for transient diffusion, convection
and
standard sources, enabling the solution of arbitrary combinations of
coupled elliptic, hyperbolic and parabolic PDEs. Currently implemented
models include phase field treatments of polycrystalline, dendritic, and
electrochemical phase transformations as well as a level set treatment
of
the electrodeposition process.