[SciPy-User] scipy.stats.invnorm - rename to invgauss?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Wed Apr 7 13:45:03 CDT 2010

Hi,

I was caught in the same trap as another innocent, in thinking that
scipy.stats.invnorm was the inverse of the normal distribution:

http://bytes.com/topic/python/answers/478142-scipy-numpy-inverse-cumulative-normal

In my desire to improve the docstring, I started looking; after a
while I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_Gaussian_distribution

- and that seems to fit the invnorm code.

A Google search for 'inverse normal distribution' does not include the
page above in the first 20 hits, but does find the inverse of the
normal distribution, and this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal-inverse_Gaussian_distribution

I wonder whether it would be good to rename scipy.stats.invnorm to
scipy.stats.invgauss ?  Maybe with a deprecation warning to invnorm?

Best,

Matthew