[SciPy-User] Compiling SciPy almost works

Søren Gammelmark gammelmark@phys.au...
Wed Aug 4 06:55:56 CDT 2010

Hi everyone

I just finished compiling NumPy 1.4.1 and SciPy 0.8.0 using Intel C++
and Fortran compilers (Version 9.1) and linking to Intel MKL 10.2. SciPy
appears to compile fine, but a couple of the modules seems to be broken.
When I import scipy.sparse i get the following error

     import scipy.sparse
   File
"/home/sgamark/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/sparse/__init__.py", line
6, in <module>
     from csr import *
   File
"/home/sgamark/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/sparse/csr.py",
line 12, in <module>
     from sparsetools import csr_tocsc, csr_tobsr, csr_count_blocks, \
   File
"/home/sgamark/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparsetools/__init__.py",
line 4, in <module>
     from csr import *
   File
"/home/sgamark/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparsetools/csr.py",
line 7, in <module>
     import _csr
ImportError:
/home/sgamark/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparsetools/_csr.so:
undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0

It is the same problem with scipy.interpolate. From what I can find out
by googling gxx_personality, it has something to do with gcc and g++
linking. This is odd however, since SciPy was compiled using

python setup.py --compiler=intel --fcompiler=intelem

Have anyone come across this problem before? (I couldn't find anything
in the archives). Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix this?

Søren Gammelmark