[SciPy-User] ANN: IEP, the interactive Editor for Python

Almar Klein almar.klein@gmail....
Tue Aug 24 10:42:14 CDT 2010

2010/8/24 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>

> Hi Almar
>
> On 24 August 2010 14:23, Almar Klein <almar.klein@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am pleased to announce IEP, the interactive Editor for Python.
> >
> > website: http://code.google.com/p/iep/
> > downloads: http://code.google.com/p/iep/downloads/list (binaries are
> > available for Windows and Linux)
> > group: http://groups.google.com/group/iep_
>
> Nifty! An interesting Windows-like distribution model (shipping all
> the .so's) :-)

The main reason for doing this is that it can be quite a bit of work to
install Python3 + PyQT4 + Qscintilla on Linux. Prebuilding saves a lot of
people that work :)

I hope to provide something similar for Mac users in the near future (but I
need some help with that since I do not own a Mac).

> The only thing that bugs me is that the numpy docstrings are mangled
> by default.  Maybe "no newlines" should be ticked to start with?  (Or,
> parsed using the provided code from the docs project)  Also, a
> variable inspector would come in handy.

I will take that under consideration. A workspace like tool is on my
wishlist (see issues :) ) .

Cheers,
  Almar