[SciPy-User] Building scipy on Linux

Willard Maier willardmaier@gmail....
Mon Dec 20 18:55:42 CST 2010

I'm trying to build scipy and numpy on Linux (Mint, a derivative of Ubuntu),
and I'm following the directions on
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux
for "Building everything from source using gfortran on Ubuntu, Nov 2010.
After several hours of work I finally got to the step for building scipy,
"python setup.py build", but here I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 85, in <module>
    FULLVERSION += svn_version()
  File "setup.py", line 58, in svn_version
    from numpy.compat import asstr
ImportError: No module named compat

Not sure what I did wrong. I downloaded the latest numpy from github and the
latest scipy with Subversion from http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk. I
also got lapack, atlas, UMFPACK, AMD, and UFconfig, and built them from
source. All previous steps succeeded after a bit of coaxing. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

Bill Maier
http://bmaier.com