[SciPy-User] How to fit data with errorbars

Jeremy Conlin jlconlin@gmail....
Wed Feb 17 12:15:16 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Jeremy Conlin <jlconlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> After reading into curve fitting, I realize I know next to nothing
>> about how this is done.  Can anyone recommend a good book or some sort
>> of reference to describe curve fitting in general?  I need to
>> investigate this further.
>>

> What is your background?  I find examples that are in terms of things
> I am intuitively familiar with to be much more helpful, though as you
> learn more this becomes less important.

I should have given my background.  I have a PhD in engineering where
my work was in computational algorithms.  However, at the time, I
didn't need to fit a curve to my data to any known models.  Now that I
have a job, this becomes necessary so I need to learn it.

> I found this to be a decent general intro (if you can find it):
> Introduction to Linear Regression Analysis by Montgomery and Peck

Thanks for that recommendation.  I will get this.