[SciPy-User] How to fit data with errorbars

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Wed Feb 17 12:17:42 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> The routine has a number of parameters that are standard in other
>> numerical packages, such as IDL, for *every* fitting routine.  We
>> should consider adding these parameters to all our fitting routines,
>> as well, since having them encourages people to fit (more) properly
>> (i.e., actually assess the goodness of fit, etc.).
>
> Here I certainly agree. (Cf. R again, where it is just assumed that
> every fitting routine no matter how ordinary or exotic will have a
> 'weights' argument, diagnostic plots, etc.)

FWIW, statsmodels, where appropriate for the most part, allows
'weight' arguments.  The barrier to the plotting in scipy is the no
graphics policy.  Granted statsmodels might as well have the same
policy at this point since it is a bit lacking here, but there are
statistical measures for (some) exploratory and confirmatory analysis
(though not nearly enough compared to R) if not too much as far as
plots.  It's not a giant leap to get what you need from matplotlib,
etc.  Just not many canned routines.  The nice thing is it takes very
little time to get these implemented (once the need/motivation/time is
there...).

Skipper