[SciPy-User] TimeSeries and Milliseconds for aircraft data

Sean Arms lesserwhirls@gmail....
Tue Feb 23 05:08:39 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Chris Jesse
<chris.jesse@flightdataservices.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got lots of timeseries data from aircraft sensors (such as altitude,
> temperatures, landing gear up/down, airspeed..) which I was hoping to load
> into a timeseries array. However, I've just read that it only supports time
> resolutions down to a second. Is there a solution for my data which contains
> samples from hundreds of different parameters at different frequencies from
> 8Hz to 1/64Hz over an 8 hour period?
>
> I need to be able to interpolate between values, mask values when samples
> are corrupt / outside of operational boundaries and store values as
> accurately to the nearest 1/16th of a second if possible.
>
> Your help is much appreciated! Thanks,
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

    I analyze both 10 and 20 Hz sonic anemometer data regularly
without the use of a timeseries array (I assume you mean a TimeSeries
object from scikits.timeseries).  I've had a lot of success using
datetime objects from the standard datetime module that ships with
python to work with my time stamps, and numpy masked arrays to handle
the data.  The scikits.timeseries module does look nice though, but I
too run up against the limit on the sampling frequency.

Sean
University of Oklahoma
School of Meteorology
PhD Candidate