[SciPy-User] Gamma distribution in scipy.stats

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Thu Jan 28 12:08:19 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:36, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Could someone explain to me why doesn't scipy explicitly use the location
> > and scaling parameters representing its PDF?
>
> Because the transformation for the location and scale parameters are
> the same for every PDF and is well known. However, including them in
> the formula often clutters it up and obscures the differences between
> PDFs.

GSL and R doesn't use the location parameter then. And Numpy's Gamma PDF
includes scaling in the formulae (
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.random.gamma.html#numpy.random.gamma).
I am guessing that everyone has its own style when it comes to represent the
distributions. Not so surprisingly it is shown in a different form in my
Cloud and Precipitation Parametrization book.

I suggest to add a statement like: Gamma distribution is mainly used to
represent precipitation distribution in bulk cloud parametrization schemes.

> --
> Robert Kern

> though it had an underlying truth."
>  -- Umberto Eco