[SciPy-User] Gamma distribution in scipy.stats

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Thu Jan 28 12:24:49 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:16 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> Because the transformation for the location and scale parameters are
> >> the same for every PDF and is well known. However, including them in
> >> the formula often clutters it up and obscures the differences between
> >> PDFs.
> >>

> > GSL and R doesn't use the location parameter then. And Numpy's Gamma PDF
> > includes scaling in the formulae
> > (
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.random.gamma.html#numpy.random.gamma
> ).
> > I am guessing that everyone has its own style when it comes to represent
> the
> > distributions. Not so surprisingly it is shown in a different form in my
> > Cloud and Precipitation Parametrization book.
> >
> > I suggest to add a statement like: Gamma distribution is mainly used to
> > represent precipitation distribution in bulk cloud parametrization
> schemes.
>
> I don't think "mainly" is a correct description,

I wanted to say that it is the most commonly used distribution in cloud
modelling. Most of time Gamma is used but sometimes Log-normal distribution
and other distribution forms are used as well.

Maybe adding an "also" -- is also mainly used" makes it clearer?

> a random quote after a short google search
> "The Gamma distribution is widely used in engineering, science, and
> business, to model continuous variables that are always positive and
> have skewed distributions"
>
> It's a pretty common distribution.
>
> Josef
>

> >> --
> >> Robert Kern
> >>
> >> "I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
> >> enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
> >> though it had an underlying truth."
> >>  -- Umberto Eco
> >

> > --
> > Gökhan