[SciPy-User] many test failures on windows 64

Tue Jul 6 08:46:20 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Robin <robince@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Robin <robince@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using Python.org amd64 python build on windows 7 64 bit.
> >>
> >> I am using numpy and scipy builds from here:
> >> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/<http://www.lfd.uci.edu/%7Egohlke/pythonlibs/>
> >>
> >> I get many errors in scipy test (none for numpy). Particularly in
> >> scipy.sparse.linalg which I need to use (and in my code it appears
> >> spsolve is giving incorrect results).
> >>
> >> Is there a better 64 bit windows build to use?
> >
> > Under 32-bit Python and the scipy 0.8 rc1 under Windows 7 64bit, I
> > only get the test_boost error the directory removal error (from this
> > test: "test_create_catalog (test_catalog.TestGetCatalog) ...").
> >
> > Some of the errors could be due to Window's lack of support for 64-bit
> > like the "test_complex (test_basic.TestLongDoubleFailure)". However,
> > you probably would have to build your own find out those if no one
> > else has them.
>
> I suspect there are more errors because of indices being longs instead
> of ints on Windows.
>
> > Given all the issues with 64-bit windows, do you really need 64-bit
> numpy/scipy?
>
> Unfortunately I do... it looks like I will now have to port a lot of
> Python code to Matlab.

First about the test output: in 0.8.0rc1 all printed warnings, the
lapack_misaligned and the npyio errors are gone. The boost errors will be
gone in the final release as well. So you have about 20 errors/failures
left, mostly located in the sparse and odr modules. Unless you're a heavy
user of those, no need to move to matlab. You could also decide to look into
the errors instead of rewriting your code.

> I know Windows isn't very popular in the Scipy
> community, and I try to avoid using it when I can, but it seems
> Windows 7 is a lot better than previous versions. Also >4GB RAM is now
> more or less standard for numerical work so I think 64 bit windows
> really should be supported. In my group a large factor in the decision
> to use windows was remote desktop and terminal services... For
> non-command line users there is nothing equivalent that I know of.
> (There is NX for linux but only 2 users is free - with a small tweak
> to windows 7 it is possible to have full terminal server behaviour).
>
> I wonder how enthought get around this problem with 64 bit EPD on windows?

So why not use EPD? Still many times cheaper than Matlab....

Cheers,
Ralf