[SciPy-User] scalars vs array of length 1

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout@tacc.utexas....
Thu Jul 8 14:27:03 CDT 2010

On 2010/07/08, at 2:09 PM, Sebastian Haase wrote:

> why are you mixing numpy.array and numpy.matrix !?
> Are you sure you need both matrix and array ?
> Matrixs are like arrays except for the the *-operator,

I need true matrix-matrix (or rather matrix-vector) multiplication.

> and the shape
> is always made to 2d (at least 2d maybe !!?? I don't know ....)

That's what it looks like to me. I'm not sure that I like the fact that a vector is a 2d matrix. You should be able to subscript a vector with one index, not two.

Also, limiting to 2 means you can not extend to tensors, which is what I'll be doing shortly.

Victor.