[SciPy-User] Is DFITPACK just a double precision FITPACK?

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Sun Jul 25 21:42:18 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> And if I were to make FITPACK a link in a docstring, which do you think
>> would be a better destination for our typical user:
>>

> As far as I can tell, there are two C interfaces to fitpack: dfitpack and
> _fitpack. The dfitpack interface is produced by f2py while _fitpack is from
> fitpackmodule. The python module fitpack2 uses mostly dfitpack. I think
> there is some history there that Pearu could explain.

Here's the deal: I added Brief and Extended (not too long, don't worry)
Summaries to the docstring for scipy.interpolate, the latter of which simply
consists of a high-level narrative listing of the sub-package contents,
including mention of the FITPACK and DFITPACK wrappers.  I figured I might
as well make the words FITPACK and DFITPACK links to relevant sites, and,
using Google, found two good candidates for FITPACK (those indicated in the
OP), but all the top hits for DFITPACK were to something in the scipy
milieu! :-)

Is DFITPACK different enough from FITPACK that it should have its own link,
and if so, can anyone suggest a good one?

Thanks,

DG

> <snip>
>
> Chuck