[SciPy-User] Is DFITPACK just a double precision FITPACK?

Sun Jul 25 22:58:22 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> And if I were to make FITPACK a link in a docstring, which do you think
>>> would be a better destination for our typical user:
>>>

>> As far as I can tell, there are two C interfaces to fitpack: dfitpack and
>> _fitpack. The dfitpack interface is produced by f2py while _fitpack is from
>> fitpackmodule. The python module fitpack2 uses mostly dfitpack. I think
>> there is some history there that Pearu could explain.
>>

> Here's the deal: I added Brief and Extended (not too long, don't worry)
> Summaries to the docstring for scipy.interpolate, the latter of which simply
> consists of a high-level narrative listing of the sub-package contents,
> including mention of the FITPACK and DFITPACK wrappers.  I figured I might
> as well make the words FITPACK and DFITPACK links to relevant sites, and,
> using Google, found two good candidates for FITPACK (those indicated in the
> OP), but all the top hits for DFITPACK were to something in the scipy
> milieu! :-)
>
> Is DFITPACK different enough from FITPACK that it should have its own link,
> and if so, can anyone suggest a good one?

No. dfitpack *is* fitpack, or at least some of it. The _fitpack module also
interfaces to fitpack but is slightly higher level. Basically we have two
interfaces to fitpack and a bit of redundancy. It would be nice to clean it
all up someday.

Chuck